Crab Linguini in White Wine Sauce
with butter lettuce salad
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Chives - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemons - 1 , zest and wedges
- Pasta, linguini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or fettucine)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (look for a dry variety; sub any type of stock)
- Creme fraiche - 1/3 cup
- Crab meat, cooked and picked over - 6 oz (look for jumbo lump or lump)
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - for serving
- Chives - 2 tsp , chopped
- Cucumbers - 6 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, butter or bibb - 6 cups , torn or chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
While water comes to a boil, in a large salad bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Pile cucumbers, lettuce, and chives (portion for salad) on top of dressing. Wait to toss until just before serving.
When salted water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions. Near the end of cooking, reserve ¼ cup / 60 mL of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing). Drain the pasta.
When butter melts, add shallots and garlic and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
Pour white wine over aromatics and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute.
Whisk in creme fraiche and simmer until slightly thickened, 3 minutes more.
Add pasta, crab, and lemon zest to sauce and toss everything together until pasta is coated in sauce. As you toss the pasta, add in reserved pasta water a little at a time to help the sauce coat the pasta.
Taste pasta and season with some salt, if needed.
Transfer pasta to a serving platter and top with chives, red pepper flakes (if using), and some fresh black pepper. Serve lemon slices on the side (for squeezing over the top).
Toss salad. Enjoy pasta with salad!