Winter Cobb Salad
with bacon / Brussels sprouts / pears / pomegranate seeds
- Eggs - 4
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , trimmed and halved
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/2 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section; sub dried cranberries)
- Bacon - 8 strips , chopped
- Pears - 1 , chopped (look for Asian pears or sub another crisp green variety)
- Baby kale - 8 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Shallots / Brussels sprouts / Pomegranate seeds (if not already removed from shells) / Bacon - Prep as directed. If Brussels sprouts are quite large, slice them into quarters. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together shallots, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Pears - Chop pears.
Peel and chop or slice eggs.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes.
Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but a thin layer of bacon grease out of the pan. Return pan to heat.
Add Brussels sprouts to heated pan and saute in bacon grease until very tender and golden brown in spots, 4 to 7 minutes (depending on size). Season with some salt and pepper.
Create a bed of baby kale in serving bowls.
Top kale with eggs, Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, pears, and bacon. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!