Mediterranean Chicken Bake
and green salad with zucchini ribbons and oranges
This chicken, baked with Mediterranean topping, was featured way back in 2015, so we were excited to bring this fresh meal back to a meal plan this week. It's so simple you'll want to add it to the regular rotation.
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Artichoke hearts - 10 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced against the grain
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 3/4 lb , chopped
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta (opt) - 3 oz , crumbled
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Zucchini - 1/2 lb , peeled into ribbons
- Oranges - 1 , segmented
- Salad greens of choice - 5 oz
Shallots / Artichoke hearts - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red or white wine vinegar and mustard. Add cooking oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make Mediterranean topping - Combine shallots, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, capers, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Pour Mediterranean topping over chicken. Transfer to the oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, stirring once midway through, 16 to 20 minutes.
While chicken bakes, place zucchini ribbons into a colander and toss with a small amount of salt.
When chicken is done, crumble feta over top.
Toss zucchini, oranges, and greens in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Season with some black pepper.
Serve chicken with salad on the side. Enjoy!