Thai Red Curry Tofu with Squash
and coconut rice
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , chopped (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Squash, kabocha - 4 cups , diced (sub butternut squash cubes; fresh or frozen)
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Lemongrass, fresh - 2 stalks , finely diced (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 2 Tbsp , more or less, to taste
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1 cup
Make coconut rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, coconut milk, water (portions for rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the liquid. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all liquid has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
Add tofu and saute until coated in curry paste, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add squash, bell peppers, coconut milk (portion for curry), and water (portion for curry). Bring to a simmer. Cover pan and simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavors develop. (Reduce heat as needed to keep the mixture at a very low simmer.)
Stir in soy sauce, brown sugar, and juice from half the lime wedges. Taste curry and adjust seasoning with any of those ingredients as needed. (If you’d like it spicier, you can even stir in some more curry paste at this point.)
If coconut rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve curry over rice in shallow bowls. Top with cilantro and serve with extra lime wedges on the side.