Chili Verde Pinto Bean and Corn Tacos
with pickled red onions / spicy coriander asparagus
Use store-bought green salsa (salsa verde) to make the preparation of this taco filling super simple. While we suggest fillings of spicy arugula, pickled onions, and savory cheese, feel free to add or swap in any other taco fillings you like.
Smarts: Be sure to prep the pickled onions ahead of time. The longer you give them, the more tart pickle flavor they'll have.
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp
- Corn, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Beans, any white (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Salsa verde - 3/4 cups (look for mild or medium, depending on your preference)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cheese, cheddar - 3 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time; extra sharp cheddar is great here)
- Tortillas, corn or flour - 8 , for serving
- Baby arugula - 2 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Sour cream - for serving
- Onions, red - 1 , thinly sliced
- Sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Asparagus - 1 bunch , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
Onions / Garlic / Cheese / Asparagus - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Pickle onions - Combine sugar, vinegar (portion for onions), and water in a small bowl. Microwave until sugar dissolves, ~1 minute. Stir onions into liquid. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 5 days. (Can be done 5 day ahead)
Cilantro - Tear leaves.
Corn - Defrost corn.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Toss asparagus with cooking oil (portion for asparagus), vinegar (portion for asparagus), ground coriander, red pepper flakes, and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes (depending on thickness).
While asparagus cooks, heat oil (portion for corn and beans) in a skillet over medium heat. Add corn and beans and saute until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes. Add cumin and oregano and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
Stir in salsa verde and garlic. Saute until most of the extra liquid has cooked off, ~5 minutes (depending on the liquid content of the salsa verde).
Remove beans and corn from heat and stir in lime juice, honey, and cilantro.
Drain liquid off pickled onions.
Warm tortillas according to package directions.
Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with corn and beans, pickled onions, cheese, arugula, and sour cream. Serve with asparagus spears on the side. Enjoy!