Cardamom Funnel Cake
with powdered sugar
- Sugar, powdered - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom, ground - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup, room temperature (sub dairy-free milk)
- Eggs, large - 1
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Sugar, granulated - 2 Tbsp
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- All-purpose flour - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - for frying (use a high-heat oil, like grape seed or canola)
Mix powdered sugar with first portion of cardamom.
In a large bowl with a whisk or hand beater, beat the milk, egg, water and vanilla extract until just combined and uniform in color.
In a separate bowl, mix together granulated sugar, baking powder, second portion of cardamom, salt and flour.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
In a heavy-bottomed deep saute or saucepan, heat 1-2 inches of oil.
Pour the batter into a container with a spout (like a large measuring cup). Drizzle batter into hot oil, making a swirl design and making sure to overlap the batter in spots.
Fry for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. Cook in batches if using a smaller pot.
Cool funnel cakes slightly on a cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar / cardamom mixture. Serve hot and enjoy!