Barley, Arugula and Fennel Salad
with citrusy dressing
This salad is simple but packed with flavor from sweet fennel, peppery arugula and a citrusy vinaigrette. Serve as a side salad alongside a full holiday spread, or add chicken, fish or almonds for a light lunch.
- Barley, hulled or pearled, uncooked - 1/2 cup
- Fennel bulb, large - 1, cored and thinly sliced
- Baby arugula - 2 cups
- Pomegranate seeds / arils - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Fresh orange juice - 2 Tbsp
- Orange zest - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup (use a neutral oil like grape seed or avocado)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Barley - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for ~30 minutes, until tender but not soggy. Drain and let cool. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Fennel - Core fennel and thinly slice.
Make dressing - Mince garlic. Whisk together garlic, orange juice, orange zest, honey, mustard, cumin, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
In a large bowl, toss together barley, fennel and arugula.
Just before serving, toss salad with dressing and garnish with pomegranate arils. Enjoy!