Miso-Tahini Quinoa Bowl
with roasted chickpeas / carrots and cauliflower
These flavorful, colorful salad bowls make a great DIY meal. Just set out all the components and let everyone assemble their own.
Smarts: All of the components make great leftovers, so don't hesitate to make extras and use them in meals for the next few days.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Carrots - 12 oz , chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Cooked quinoa (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Baby arugula - 5 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/3 cup (sub pepitas / pumpkin seeds)
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Miso - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp , plus more as needed
Make quinoa - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday; if prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make sauce - Combine garlic, yogurt, miso, tahini, lemon juice, and water. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. If needed, continue adding water until sauce is smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Green onions - Chop, keeping green and white parts separate.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Toss carrots and cauliflower with olive oil, first part of Za’atar and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
When vegetables are nearly finished cooking, toss beans with cooking oil, second portion of Za’atar, white parts of green onions, and some salt.
Spread beans over top of vegetables and continue roasting everything together until beans are warm, ~5 minutes more.
If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Assemble bowls with a bed of quinoa and arugula. Top with roasted vegetables, green parts of green onions, and sunflower seeds. Finish bowls with a drizzle of sauce. Enjoy!