with cucumber & yogurt and pita
This meal was inspired by a recent trip to Turkey. The meatball kebabs were some of my favorite meals, and I wanted to share! We're going to double the meatballs (or roasted cauliflower) which will double as toppings for our Turkish pizza tomorrow night. Enjoy the mix of spices and if you have trouble finding za'atar, you can always order from Amazon or Penzey's.
- Onion - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic cloves - 3 , crushed or minced
- Parsley - 1/2 bunch , minced
- Ground beef and lamb - 2 1/2 lbs ((Choose any ratio or sub ground chicken or turkey))
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Skewers (opt) - 16
- Persian cucumbers - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Plain yogurt - 2 cups
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Pita or flatbread - 4
- Onions / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Meatballs - Mix together onions, garlic, and parsley with ground meat, cumin, za'atar, first part of salt, and chili powder. If you want to taste the meat for seasoning, make a small ball, and microwave it for 1 minute. Roll into long meatballs. Skewer if desired. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Preheat oven to 425F (232C) degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and then layer in cooling rack. Place meatballs onto cooling rack and bake for 12 to 16 minutes, rotating once midway through.
- While meat is cooking, chop cucumbers. Mix with yogurt, lemon juice, and second part of salt.
- Toast pitas right before serving. Save about 2/3 of the meatballs for tomorrow night's dinner and enjoy the rest tonight with pitas and cucumber & yogurt!