Tex Mex Salad with Ground Beef
and honey-adobo dressing
A classic taco salad is one of our favorite back-pocket meals. This paleo-friendly version is made with ground beef, olives, avocados, and a sweet and spicy dressing. It's a great meal if you're cooking for one or two, but also works well to customize if you're serving a crowd. Set everything out like a taco bar and let everyone assemble their own bowl. This meal was last featured in 2019.
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz , shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4 , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
Make honey-adobo dressing - Whisk together vinegar, adobo sauce, honey, paprika (portion for dressing), and oil (portion for dressing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika (portion for salad), garlic powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Season ground beef - Combine beef with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Olives - Drain and rinse.
Heat a skillet with oil (portion for taco salad) over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and olives. Top with beef and pepitas.
Dress salads with honey-adobo dressing. Enjoy!