Miso-Maple Crusted Chicken Breasts
with roasted carrots / brown rice
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced
- Green onions - 3 stalks , green and white parts chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked brown - 3/4 cup
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
Brown rice - Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check brown rice at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's tender and has absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Chicken - Slice in half. Cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and then flatten with a meat tenderizer, until about 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make miso-maple butter - Melt butter in the microwave, 30 to 60 seconds. Whisk ginger, miso, and maple syrup into butter.
Prep miso-maple panko - Mix miso-maple butter (portion for the chicken) with panko.
Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
Toss carrots with cooking oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Place chicken on a second sheet pan. Cover chicken with panko mixture. Bake chicken until cooked through, 12 to 18 minutes..
Toss roasted carrots with miso-maple butter (portion for the carrots) and green onions right out of the oven.
If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve chicken and carrots over rice with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!