Fall Sausage and Mushroom Soup
with butternut squash / chard
- Butternut squash - 12 oz , peeled and cubed
- Swiss chard - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Sage, fresh - 2 leaves , finely chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian - 8 oz
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, petite diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Bay leaves - 1
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. To heated oil add sausage and saute, breaking it apart, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain off excess oil.
To sausage, add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are starting to turn tender, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Add chard, onions, garlic, sage, and dried thyme with some salt. Saute until onions are starting to turn tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, and squash. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer (reduce heat as needed), until squash is nearly tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Enjoy!