with butternut squash / chard
Minestrone soup, with its combination of beans, pasta, and vegetables, is hearty and comforting. This version is packed with fall vegetables and greens.
Smarts #1: Adding a parmesan rind to the soup infuses it with flavor, but skip it if you don't have a rind to use.
Smarts #2: Using frozen, cubed butternut squash can save time on prep.
Smarts #3: If not serving all of the soup right away, boil the pasta separately and just add it to each bowl before serving.
- Butternut squash - 12 oz, peeled and cubed
- Swiss chard - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Sage, fresh - 2 leaves, finely chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, petite diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cheese, parmesan rind (opt) - 1
- Pasta, any small gluten-free shape - 2 oz
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until golden brown and very tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add chard, onions, garlic, sage, and dried thyme with some salt. Saute until onions are translucent, 6 to 8 minutes more.
Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, parmesan rind, and squash. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer (reduce heat as needed), until squash is nearly tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove lid and stir in pasta. Simmer until pasta is tender (check package for recommended time).
When pasta is tender, remove soup from heat. Remove and discard bay leaves and parmesan rind. Stir in beans and balsamic vinegar. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
Serve soup with some parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!
Ahhh. Maaaaze. Ingggg.0 Helpful
Absolutely delicious!0 Helpful
Made as directed, using tortellini for the pasta and it was delicious!!0 Helpful
So yummy and hearty. Replaced chard with spinach from csa. Not quick to make, but wish I had made a double batch because we are it up so fast.0 Helpful
Really good and easy to make. I added ground beef cooked separately and carrots. I added leftover crushed tomatoes too.0 Helpful
I found this to be pretty bland and boring unfortunately0 Helpful