Dan Dan-Style Noodles
with pork / broccoli
This spicy, savory noodle dish has made it to many of our community members' favorites lists. It's very adaptable, so feel free to try a different type of ground meat and use any type of Asian-style noodles (or even spaghetti will work). This version was last featured in 2019.
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Tamari - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 tsp (opt; sub Chinese sesame paste, black bean paste, or peanut butter)
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp , more or less to taste (sub any hot sauce)
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Broccoli - 12 oz , florets
- Noodles, soba - 6 oz (sub any gluten-free Asian-style noodle or gluten-free spaghetti)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
Garlic / Peanuts / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, Tamari, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for sauce), and tahini. Add chili garlic sauce according to your spice preference (the amount listed will make a fairly spicy sauce, so reduce or increase the amount listed if you’d like). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli turns bright green. Add water to pan and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli until tender, ~3 minutes.
Remove broccoli from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for noodles) and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set broccoli aside and return wok to heat.
Add second part of cooking oil to wok. To heated oil, add pork and white parts of green onions. Saute, breaking pork apart, until nearly cooked through, ~5 minutes.
Give sauce a stir and pour over top of pork. Simmer until sauce thickens and pork is cooked.
If noodles were made ahead, reheat.
Assemble bowls with noodles, pork, broccoli, green parts of green onions, and peanuts. Add some red pepper flakes or some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like more heat. Enjoy!