Moroccan-Spiced Skirt Steak
with roasted carrots and parsnips / warm lentils
A unique spice blend adds big flavor to this rustic meal of seared steak with warm lentils and vegetables on the side.
Smarts: Be sure to give the steak as much time as possible to marinate. The more time the better in developing flavor.
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom, ground (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Ras El Hanout (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank steak)
- Carrots - 1 lb, diced
- Parsnips - 1 lb, diced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Ras El Hanout (ingredients listed separately) - 1 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 1/2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub apple cider vinegar)
Make Ras El Hanout - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Combine all ingredients for Ras El Hanout. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate steak - In a shallow baking dish or bowl, whisk together Ras El Hanout (portion for steak), cooking oil (first portion for steak), and soy sauce. Add steak, turning to coat. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
Toss carrots and parsnips with cooking oil (portion for warm lentils) and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, stirring occasionally, 15 to 25 minutes (depending on size).
While vegetables roast, heat a skillet or grill pan with cooking oil (second portion for steak) over medium heat. Add steak and sear on both sides until cooked to your liking. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
Transfer steak to a cutting board and let it rest, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
Combine olive oil, Ras El Hanout (portion for lentils), and lentils in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring halfway through, until warm 1 to 3 minutes.
Combine warm lentils with vinegar, roasted vegetables, and cilantro.
Slice steak and serve with warm lentils. Enjoy!
This one really got the spot. The seasoning was perfect.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy but kids didn’t like the kale0 Helpful
Didn't have lentils so we used quinoa. Tasty meal.0 Helpful
Loved it. Wonderful fall flavors, yet not a heavy meal and healthy!0 Helpful
Did potatoes and carrots as a side, as we are not parsnip fans and lentils are kind of meh. Liked the seasoning!0 Helpful
Love the steak! Feel like the veggies are missing something0 Helpful