Moroccan-Spiced Skirt Steak
with roasted carrots and parsnips / warm lentils
A unique spice blend adds big flavor to this rustic meal of seared steak with warm lentils and vegetables on the side.
Smarts: Be sure to give the steak as much time as possible to marinate. The more time the better in developing flavor.
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom, ground (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Ras El Hanout (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank steak)
- Carrots - 1 lb , diced
- Parsnips - 1 lb , diced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Ras El Hanout (ingredients listed separately) - 1 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 1/2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub apple cider vinegar)
Make Ras El Hanout - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Combine all ingredients for Ras El Hanout. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate steak - In a shallow baking dish or bowl, whisk together Ras El Hanout (portion for steak), cooking oil (first portion for steak), and soy sauce. Add steak, turning to coat. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
Carrots / Parsnips - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
Toss carrots and parsnips with cooking oil (portion for warm lentils) and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, stirring occasionally, 15 to 25 minutes (depending on size).
While vegetables roast, heat a skillet or grill pan with cooking oil (second portion for steak) over medium heat. Add steak and sear on both sides until cooked to your liking. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
Transfer steak to a cutting board and let it rest, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
Combine olive oil, Ras El Hanout (portion for lentils), and lentils in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring halfway through, until warm 1 to 3 minutes.
Combine warm lentils with vinegar, roasted vegetables, and cilantro.
Slice steak and serve with warm lentils. Enjoy!