Nasi Goreng with Tofu and Fried Egg
with tomatoes / cucumbers
One of the most fun things about this Indonesian-style fried rice is how colorful it is on the plate. Not only is it traditionally finished with a sunny-side up egg, but it is served with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes for added texture and flavor.
Smarts: If you can't find kecap manis, use regular soy sauce mixed with brown sugar to create a similar sweet / savory sauce.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp
- Kecap manis - 2 tsp + 2 tsp (sweet dark soy sauce; sub equal parts regular soy sauce and brown sugar)
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Sriracha or hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , thin wedges
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , matchsticks
Make seasoning - Whisk together first portion of soy sauce, first portion of kecap manis, fish sauce, and rice vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
Add tofu and saute for 6 to 8 minutes. Add second portion of soy sauce and second portion of kecap manis and continue cooking until tofu soaks up the liquid and is dark brown. Set tofu aside and return pan to heat.
Add second part of cooking oil and then bell peppers, onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute until very tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sauce and bring to a simmer.
When seasoning is simmering, add in rice and cook everything together until rice is warmed through and evenly coated in sauce.
Remove from heat and stir in tofu. Cover to keep warm.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add third part of cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side until whites are set and yolks are still a bit runny, 4 to 6 minutes. (If you’d like the eggs more cooked, flip and cook on the other side.)
Divide rice between serving plates and top each portion with a fried egg.
Serve Nasi Goreng with cucumber and tomato slices on the side. Serve with Sriracha if you’d like some spice. Enjoy!