Harvest Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
with quinoa / arugula / goat cheese
We're keeping things fresh with this meal that feels like a transition to fall. If the weather is still warm, you can make everything ahead and serve it room temperature or slightly chilled.
Smarts: If prepping right before cooking, be sure to get the beets roasting before continuing with your prep. You can add the sweet potatoes to the oven when the beets are about halfway finished.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Beets - 1 lb
- Foil - for roasting
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , cubed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby arugula - 5 oz
- Goat cheese - 4 oz , crumbled (sub feta)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Roast beets - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Scrub and trim ends off beets. Place beets into a baking dish and fill with about 1/2” / 1.3 cm of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peel and cube beets - When beets have cooled completely, peel off skins with a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces. Store in their own container (they will turn everything they touch purple). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Quinoa - (Double if making Thursday's meal.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Cube sweet potatoes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together yogurt, vinegar (portion for sauce), lemon juice, mustard, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss beans with vinegar (portion for bowls). Set aside.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender, 25 to 35 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, move the sweet potatoes to one side of the pan and add beans to the other side. Finish roasting the sweet potatoes and beans together.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Assemble bowls with a bed of quinoa and arugula. Top with roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas, beets, goat cheese, and sunflower seeds. Drizzle yogurt sauce on top. (You can also just set out all of the ingredients and let everyone assemble their bowls at the table.) Enjoy!