with lentils / ricotta / mushrooms / spinach
Smarts: Lasagna noodles are broken up and stirred into the soup at the end of cooking. Watch them closely or boil them separately to keep them from over-cooking and getting soggy.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lasagna noodles - 6 oz, broken into pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed lentils in the produce section or use canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Onions / Garlic / Lasagna noodles - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over mushrooms and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir lasagna noodles into soup and cover.
- Simmer soup just until lasagna noodles are al dente, tender but still with some bite. This should take 10 to 15 minutes, but watch closely to prevent over-cooking the noodles. In the last minute of cooking, stir in lentils and spinach leaves.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some Parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!
So good!!! Instant favorite. Putting this on our frequent rotation list for the fall and winter :-)1 Helpful
Excellent quick soup on a cooler day. Awesome Italian flavors combine to make it nice and hearty!0 Helpful
Soooo good!0 Helpful
A tiny bit on the spicy side for our taste. Kids (9yo) were so-so due to the mushrooms, but the adults liked it.0 Helpful
Really good soup! Loved the spoonful of ricotta. Didn't have lentils so I just doubled the mushrooms and it didn't feel lacking.0 Helpful
Used spiral pasta instead of lasagne noodles. No other modifications.0 Helpful
Very good. I used 1 lb of sausage and left out the mushrooms, but did everything else as written. I did make the soup base the night before and just had to heat up and add noodles and spinach before dinner. I added a sprinkle of nutmeg to the ricotta for a little wow factor.0 Helpful