with Italian sausage / ricotta / mushrooms / spinach
Classic lasagna is time-consuming to make, but all those same ingredients can be made into this soup that was one of our top-rated recipes in 2018. A dollop of ricotta cheese served on top gives this dish the authentic feel of the original.
Smarts: Lasagna noodles are broken up and stirred into the soup at the end of cooking. Watch them closely or boil them separately to keep them from over-cooking and getting soggy.
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Lasagna noodles - 6 oz , broken into pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 8 oz
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz , grated
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute until sausage is breaking apart and nearly cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over sausage and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir lasagna noodles into soup and cover.
- Simmer soup just until lasagna noodles are al dente, tender but still with some bite. This should take 10 to 15 minutes, but watch closely to prevent over-cooking the noodles. In the last minute of cooking, stir in spinach leaves.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some Parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!