Szechuan Pork Stir-Fry
with snow peas / carrots / rice
Using ground meat and lots of vegetables, this stir-fry, which was originally published in 2020, is about as fast and colorful as they come. Feel free to increase the spice if you'd like.
Smarts: It will seem like a lot of vegetables when you first add them to the pan, but the carrots will shrink down considerably as they cook. Just keep cooking them until they are very tender and reduced in quantity.
White or Brown Rice:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
Szechuan Stir-Fry Sauce:
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
Szechuan Pork Stir-Fry:
- Carrots - 10 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Snow peas - 8 oz (sub snap peas)
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic / Carrots (if not pre-shredded) - Prep as directed. Combine ginger and garlic. Store carrots separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together ginger, garlic, stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok or large saute pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and snow peas and saute until tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Move vegetables to one side of the pan and add pork to the other side. Saute pork, breaking it apart as it cooks, until cooked through, ~5 minutes. Stir pork into vegetables.
- Give sauce a good stir (or shake if using a jar with a lid) to be sure that the cornstarch fully dissolves.
- Pour sauce over stir-fry and bring to a simmer. Cook everything together until sauce thickens, ~3 minutes.
- Add lime juice and cilantro to stir-fry.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Enjoy!