Trinidadian Callaloo with Collards and Okra
with rice / plantain chips
Vegetable-rich callaloo is a well-loved dish in Trinidad, where it is cooked down into a thick stew, and it makes a great consistency for serving over rice. Coconut milk adds creaminess and okra naturally thickens the dish.
Smarts #1: Plantain chips add crunch to this comforting meal, but feel free to skip them or use tortilla chips if you prefer.
Smarts #2: Collard greens can vary in thickness and toughness, so be sure to give them plenty of time to cook down until tender and silky.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Onions, medium - 1/2 diced
- Jalapenos - 2 , diced (seeds removed for less spice)
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Collard greens - 8 leaves , stems discarded, leaves finely chopped
- Okra, fresh or frozen - 8 oz , sliced (sub zucchini)
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Squash, butternut, frozen cubes - 10 oz (sub fresh squash, cubed)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Plantain chips (opt) - 8 oz , for serving
- Rice - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Jalapenos / Garlic / Collard greens - Prep as directed. Combine onions, jalapenos, and garlic. Store collard greens separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Squash - Defrost squash in the microwave.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, jalapenos, and garlic and saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add collard greens, salt, thyme, and black pepper and saute for 3 to 4 minutes to soften the collards. Stir in okra, squash, coconut milk, and soy sauce and bring to a simmer.
- When callaloo is simmering, reduce heat to low-medium and cover. Simmer until greens are tender and wilted, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Next, remove lid and blend the callaloo with an immersion blender or in batches in a standing blender until nearly smooth.
- Stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like it to be spicy, you can stir in some hot sauce.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Serve callaloo and rice with cilantro over top. Crumble plantains over top or serve them on the side for scooping up the vegetable-rich stew. Enjoy!