Lentil Sloppy Joes
with parmesan zucchini spears
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ketchup - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 3 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Zucchini - 1 lb , spears
- Cheese, parmesan - 1/3 cup , grated
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
Zucchini / Cheese / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store zucchini and cheese in their own containers. Combine onions, bell peppers, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make sauce - Combine ketchup, stock, soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Lightly brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Toss zucchini with olive oil, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan.
Bake zucchini until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
While zucchini bakes, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with cooking oil. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic with some salt and saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add lentils and sauce to aromatics and continue cooking until sauce reduces and thickens, 5 to 8 minutes.
Season lentils with some salt and pepper.
Toast hamburger buns.
Divide lentils between hamburger buns (it will be messy, but that’s part of the fun!). Enjoy with zucchini on the side.