Tempeh Fried Rice with Cashews
and carrots / green beans
Smarts: You'll be able to coax the most flavor out of the carrots and green beans if you use fresh, but frozen vegetables will save time. Frozen vegetables will cook more quickly than the time outlined in the recipe, just be sure to defrost them first.
- Tempeh - 8 oz, diced (sub extra-firm tofu)
- Water - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, finely diced
- Green beans - 8 oz, finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Green onions - 3 stalks, finely chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Eggs - 2, whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Cooked Basmati rice (leftover from Wednesday) - ~2 cups
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Tempeh - Finely chop tempeh. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam and marinate tempeh - Combine tempeh and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover loosely with a paper towel. Steam in the microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain off water. Pour first portion of soy sauce and rice vinegar over tempeh and gently toss to combine. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Carrots / Green beans / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and green beans in one container. Store garlic in its own container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peas - Defrost peas. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Drain marinade off tempeh (disard marinade). Season tempeh lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add eggs and scramble until eggs are cooked to your liking, 2 to 4 minutes. Set scrambled eggs aside and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add second portion of cooking oil and then tempeh, carrots, and green beans. Saute until vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. If the pan starts to look dry, add a splash of water.
- Add white parts of green onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in second portion of soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Cook for a minute to let liquids heat up.
- Add in rice and peas. Gently fold everything together and continue cooking until heated through, ~5 minutes more.
- Fold eggs into rice with green parts of green onions and cashews.
- Serve rice with lime wedges, extra soy sauce, and hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!
With the other days of meal prepping the rice and pork and using small cooked shrimp this was super easy and another tasty variation on fried rice.0 Helpful
Another awesome meal! Came together nicely0 Helpful
I didn’t have the flavor issues some other reviewers had with this. Skipped the shrimp. My picky 5 year old ate this ‘deconstructed’, but my 2 year old loved it as is.0 Helpful
Loved using the left over pork roast for meals. We skipped the shrimp and subbed green beans from the garden instead of peas.0 Helpful
I skipped the peas and shrimp because I had a lot more green beans and pork than what the recipe called for. Based on reviews about this being bland, I also added a shallot, grated ginger, and a couple of spoonfuls of Sabal Oelek while cooking.0 Helpful
Better than expected. Everyone enjoyed it. We added several other veggies we needed to use up and added an extra two eggs.0 Helpful