Yang-Chow Fried Rice
with shrimp / [leftover] char siu pork
With leftover pork from Tuesday and leftover rice from Wednesday, fried rice tonight feels like a natural fit! Adding vegetables, shrimp, and scrambled egg make this a colorful twist on the classic Chinese fried rice known as Yang-Chow.
Smarts: You'll be able to coax the most flavor out of the carrots and green beans if you use fresh, but frozen vegetables will save time. Frozen vegetables will cook more quickly than the time outlined in the recipe; just be sure to defrost them first.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 8 oz (preferably a small variety)
- Carrots - 8 oz , finely diced
- Green beans - 8 oz , finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Char siu pork (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 lbs , chopped
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup , defrosted
- Green onions - 3 stalks , finely chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Eggs - 2 , whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp , plus more for serving
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Cooked Basmati rice (leftover from Wednesday) - ~2 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
Carrots / Green beans / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and green beans in one container. Store garlic in its own container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Pork - Chop leftover pork. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Peas - Defrost peas. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately.
Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
To heated pan, add second portion of cooking oil and then carrots and green beans. Saute until vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. If the pan starts to look dry, add a splash of water.
Add white parts of green onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Add in soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and shrimp. Cook just until shrimp is starting to turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in rice, peas, and pork. Gently fold everything together and continue cooking until heated through, ~5 minutes more.
Fold eggs into rice with green parts of green onions.
Serve rice with lime wedges, extra soy sauce, and hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!