Curried Lentils with Rice
and okra / curry aioli
Smarts: Okra is a love-it or hate-it ingredient in our community of cooks. Roasting brings out a texture that may convert even those who think they don't like it, but feel free to use green beans or broccoli in its place.
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 1 tsp, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek (opt) - for serving
- Water - 3 1/2 cups
- Rice, basmati - 2 cups
- Cook rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curry aioli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Whisk together mayonnaise and curry powder (portion for aioli). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic / Limes - Prep as directed. Combine ginger and garlic. Store lime wedges separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then onions and carrots to melted butter. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, and curry powder (portion for lentils). Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Stir in lentils and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until carrots are tender and lentils are creamy (add some more stock or water if the lentils start to look dry). Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Thursday).
- Serve lentils over rice with a spoonful of yogurt on top. Enjoy okra and aioli on the side. Squeeze lime wedges over the entire dish.
I thought it was good, husband thought it was just ok. Took longer than we thought it would and still a little soupy.0 Helpful
Big fan! I cooked the lentils instead of using pre-cooked ones, but my girlfriend and I both loved it.0 Helpful
It is very rare for me to take seconds at dinnertime but this was an exception! I loved this meal and the great flavors! It's added to my favorites list for sure!0 Helpful
I wasn't super excited about this dish but it was really, really good. I bought the okra at my main grocery store, Sprouts, but a friend recommended seeking out the "lady fingers" okra from a nearby Indian Grocer. I was worried because the okra I bought wasn't super fresh at the time I cooked it but the roasting made it all good.0 Helpful
Loved the flavor!! Couldn’t find okra so subbed the green beans. Was a LOT of food, very filling!!0 Helpful
Fairly easy to make, nice flavor, and easy to store. Would have liked a pressure cooker conversion, and a little more curry flavor.0 Helpful