Roasted Dijon Chickpea and Butter Lettuce Salad
with avocado / radishes / pistachios / corn
Smarts: Butterhead lettuce is very tender with thin leaves, so you can leave the leaves intact and just arrange the salads on top of the whole leaves.
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use whole grain mustard if you have it)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Foil - for roasting
- Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 4 Tbsp
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Radishes - 8, sliced
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Butter lettuce - 10 oz, leaves torn (sub any salad greens)
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (look for pre-shelled pistachios or sub any type of nuts)
- Goat cheese - 4 oz, crumbled
- Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 5 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Green onions / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush with some oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread beans out on sheet pan and toss with vinaigrette (portion for chickpeas). Roast, stirring well halfway through cooking, until golden brown, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Heat a skillet with some cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels with some salt and saute until corn is warmed through and browning in spots, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble salads by spreading lettuce out on serving plates (if the leaves are large, you can gently tear them into smaller pieces). Top with corn, radishes, green onions, avocados, pistachios, and goat cheese. Top salads with warm beans and then drizzle with vinaigrette (portion for salad). Enjoy!
This is a 5 star salad and the dressing is amazing!!! We made salads worry chicken on the side for the kids and let them select their toppings from what was prepped. We will definitely make this again, so many great textures! We subbed peanuts for pistachios since that's what we had on hand. Wish I could submit a picture on here.1 Helpful
Love the salads. I was concerned with all of the vinegar in the dressing, but it really worked0 Helpful
Simple, refreshing and delicious.0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this combination. Oopsed on the marinade and didn't save any for the dressing. Subbed sunflower seeds for the pistachios. Hubby really liked it.0 Helpful
This was a miss for us. I was so excited to make it, but some thing about the flavors and textures, combined with the vinaigrette, didn’t quite work together in our families opinion.0 Helpful
A winning CookSmarts salad! Flavors were excellent and it was filling without feeling heavy. Made exactly as is except used romaine instead of butter lettuce.0 Helpful