Black Pepper Steak and Noodle Stir-Fry
Smarts: Steaming the broccoli ahead of time ensures it is already tender so that you can focus on getting the steak cooked just right.
- Steak, flank or skirt - 1 lb, thinly sliced against the grain (sub any cut of steak)
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Mushrooms, any type - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Noodles, lo mein - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Water - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chili steak - Place steak in the freezer for 15 minutes. (This will make it easier to slice into thin strips.)
- Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, water (for sauce), soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Cook noodles according to package instructions. If making ahead, toss with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Steam broccoli - Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook on high until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop and combine green and white parts.
- Slice steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. Toss with some salt and pepper and then toss with first portion of cornstarch.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add steak in a single layer. Cook steak, without stirring, until golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip steak and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until steak is just cooked through, ~2 minutes more. Transfer steak to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add second portion of oil and then mushrooms to pan. Saute until mushrooms are very tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Pour sauce over mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together second portion of cornstarch and water (for steak). Stir into simmering sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add noodles and broccoli to pan and stir to coat in sauce.
- Remove pan from heat and fold in steak.
- Serve noodles with green onions and some extra red pepper flakes or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Loved this the first time and loved it this time! The only thing that I would change is not to use a wok. It's just not enough cooking surface to let the steak sit without stirring or doing it in batches, and I don't have time for batches. Next time I'll do the steak in the big skillet so I can get that yummy crust on it.2 Helpful
This was so flavorful and tasty! We subbed seitan for tempeh. SO GOOD0 Helpful
Made it with tofu and glad I skipped the steaming step. Flavors are pretty strong.0 Helpful
One of our favorites so far! This was so tasty!0 Helpful
Needed something. Maybe if I made it again I'd up the spices.0 Helpful
SO good! My 6yo is ate it as a whole meal (not just pieces of it). The sauce was great0 Helpful
Tasted just like take out! I was short on time and used microwave frozen broccoli, and it still turned out well.0 Helpful