Taco-Stuffed Bell Peppers with Ground Beef
with Mexican side salad
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 1/2 lbs
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Olives, black and sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Bell peppers, medium - 4, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa - 1/3 cup
- Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately.
- Beef - Combine beef with jalapenos, garlic, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Slice bell peppers in half from stem to base. Discard seeds. Place pepper halves in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high just until peppers are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions and saute until soft, ~1 minute. Add beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Brush a baking dish or sheet pan with some oil. Place bell pepper halves cut-side up in prepared dish. Spoon beef filling into pepper halves.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together and the peppers continue to soften.
- While peppers cook, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and paprika in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Top with lettuce and tomatoes. Wait to toss the salad until right before serving.
- Serve stuffed peppers with salsa, olives, and green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with salad.
So easy and so tasty.0 Helpful
I made the recipe as listed, however as it was cooling I put a tablespoon of the salsa on it. When I sat at the table to eat I was inspired to dump the contents of the bell pepper into my salad, which made it taste like a light version of a taco salad. The bell pepper was fork tender which complimented the salad.0 Helpful
The ease pushes it to 5 stars for me.0 Helpful
The meat mixture was a little dry. Serving with salsa is important for the recipe to work. I think I’ll make my own salsa next time so I don’t get unwanted ingredients found in jarred varieties. Steaming the bell pepper halves helps maintain the crunch and preserves water solvable vitamins. I think I will steam 4 minutes next time to get a bit more softness. I don’t eat cheese, but I think a sprinkle of cheese on top would be delicious for Keto dieters.0 Helpful
Tasty quick meal. We used pitas and they got nice and crispy.0 Helpful
We liked this but we doctored the refried beans quite a bit. Mixed in half a can of enchilada sauce, some taco seasoning, and a whole chopped jalapeno. We crisped up the naan before putting on toppings. After cooking, we added lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and salsa. I like the idea, maybe refried black beans or whole beans might be better.0 Helpful