Tex Mex Pizza
with Mexican side salad
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pizza dough, gluten-free - 1 lb
- Flour, any gluten-free - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Olives, black and sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, refried (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 6 oz
- Salsa - 1/3 cup
- Pizza dough - Cover in gluten-free flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out.
- Jalapenos / Lettuce (for pizza and salad) / Tomatoes (for pizza and salad) / Green onions - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and store separately.
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees and position top rack so it’s at the very top.
- Brush or spray a sheet pan with some oil. Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan. Brush dough with some oil.
- Bake dough on top rack for 5 minutes without toppings to let it crisp up.
- Spread the refried beans over dough. Cover in cheese and then sprinkle on black olives, jalapenos (if using), and green onions (green and white parts).
- Bake pizza for 8 to 12 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While pizza cooks, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and paprika in a mixing bowl. Add oil while whisking. Top with lettuce and tomatoes (portions for the salad; reserve portion for pizza). Wait to toss the salad until right before serving.
- When pizza is done, top it with lettuce and tomatoes (portions for the pizza). Slice.
- Serve pizza with salsa on the side (or spoon some salsa on top if you’d like). Enjoy with salad.
So easy and so tasty.0 Helpful
I made the recipe as listed, however as it was cooling I put a tablespoon of the salsa on it. When I sat at the table to eat I was inspired to dump the contents of the bell pepper into my salad, which made it taste like a light version of a taco salad. The bell pepper was fork tender which complimented the salad.0 Helpful
The ease pushes it to 5 stars for me.0 Helpful
The meat mixture was a little dry. Serving with salsa is important for the recipe to work. I think I’ll make my own salsa next time so I don’t get unwanted ingredients found in jarred varieties. Steaming the bell pepper halves helps maintain the crunch and preserves water solvable vitamins. I think I will steam 4 minutes next time to get a bit more softness. I don’t eat cheese, but I think a sprinkle of cheese on top would be delicious for Keto dieters.0 Helpful
Tasty quick meal. We used pitas and they got nice and crispy.0 Helpful
We liked this but we doctored the refried beans quite a bit. Mixed in half a can of enchilada sauce, some taco seasoning, and a whole chopped jalapeno. We crisped up the naan before putting on toppings. After cooking, we added lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and salsa. I like the idea, maybe refried black beans or whole beans might be better.0 Helpful