Cobb Salad with Walnuts
with ranch dressing
Smarts: This is a great salad to serve bar-style. Set everything out and let everyone assemble and dress their own salads.
- Eggs - 4
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Cheese, blue or gorgonzola - 4 oz, crumbled (sub shredded cheddar or any other preferred cheese)
- Parsley, flat-leaf - 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp, finely chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Dill, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run in cold water for easier peeling. Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Shred carrots (if not pre-shredded). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, put them in a skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make ranch dressing - Finely chop parsley and chives. Combine parsley, chives, mayonnaise, vinegar, sour cream, dried dill, and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Peel and chop eggs.
- Give dressing a stir and season with some salt and pepper. Add a splash of water or milk if the dressing is too thick.
- Form a bed of lettuce and layer all other ingredients on top - walnuts, eggs, avocado, cheese, carrots, and tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over top. Enjoy!
Good salad - left off the walnuts0 Helpful
We skipped the walnuts due to allergies, but it was still amazing0 Helpful
Love the Ranch Dressing recipe that goes with this!0 Helpful
I just LOVE all the salads here and this was no exception. Keep the salad combinations flowing!!!0 Helpful
Tasty enough. We used a different recipe for the dressing. Didn’t use the avocado because it wasn’t ripe - I think that would have made it better. LOVED how quick and easy this was on a weeknight.0 Helpful
Loved it.0 Helpful