Rotisserie Chicken Cobb Salad
with herb vinaigrette
Smarts: This is a great salad to serve bar-style. Set everything out and let everyone assemble and dress their own salads.
- Eggs - 4
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Bacon - 6 strips, chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , meat shredded
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard - 1 Tbsp
- Dill, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Parsley, flat-leaf - 1 Tbsp
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run in cold water for easier peeling. Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Bacon - (If prepping right before serving, get bacon cooking while continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, put them in a skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb vinaigrette - Combine vinegar, mustard, dried dill, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. If you'd like a completely smooth vinaigrette, add parsley and chives and blend with an immersion blender. (You can also just finely chop the herbs by hand and whisk them in.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred with a knife. If making Thursday night’s meal, shred chicken for that night as well and set it aside. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate while preparing the rest of the salad.
- While bacon cooks, peel and chop eggs.
- If you’d like the chicken warm, drain off all but a thin layer of bacon grease from the pan and saute the chicken until heated through. (You can also serve the chicken chilled or at room temperature if you prefer.)
- Form a bed of lettuce and layer all other ingredients on top - chicken, bacon, eggs, avocado, walnuts, carrots, and tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over top. Enjoy!
Good salad - left off the walnuts0 Helpful
We skipped the walnuts due to allergies, but it was still amazing0 Helpful
Love the Ranch Dressing recipe that goes with this!0 Helpful
I just LOVE all the salads here and this was no exception. Keep the salad combinations flowing!!!0 Helpful
Tasty enough. We used a different recipe for the dressing. Didn’t use the avocado because it wasn’t ripe - I think that would have made it better. LOVED how quick and easy this was on a weeknight.0 Helpful
Loved it.0 Helpful