Mushroom and Bell Pepper Scramble
with green smoothie
With a Tex Mex twist and plenty of flavor from mushrooms and bell peppers, this scramble is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Serve it with a fresh green smoothie on the side. This hearty one-pan dish would fit right in at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Mushroom and Bell Pepper Scramble:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced (seeds removed for less heat)
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - for serving
Green Pineapple Smoothie:
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 16 oz
- Baby spinach - 3 oz
- Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Bell peppers / Onions / Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Whisk eggs - Whisk together eggs, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Make smoothie - In a blender combine frozen pineapple, baby spinach, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth. You can add some honey for more sweetness or some lime juice (not on ingredients list) for more tart flavor if you’d like.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until very tender and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, onion, jalapenos, and garlic with some salt and saute everything together until onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Pour eggs over vegetables and scramble until nearly finished cooking.
- Divide eggs between serving plates and top with salsa and cilantro. Enjoy smoothie on the side.