Migas with Black Beans and Eggs
with green smoothie
Smarts: This hearty one-pan dish would fit right in at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Jalapenos - 1, diced (seeds removed for less heat)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Tortillas, corn and taco-sized - 6, chopped
- Cheese, cotija - 3 oz, grated (sub cheddar)
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/4 cup (plus more for serving)
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Baby spinach - 3 oz
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Bell peppers / Onions / Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tortillas - Slice into thin strips or roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cheese / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Whisk eggs - Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Make smoothie - In a blender combine frozen pineapple, baby spinach, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth. You can add some honey for more sweetness or some lime juice (not on ingredients list) for more tart flavor if you’d like.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with first part of oil over medium- high heat. Add tortillas and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and very crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer tortilla strips to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add second part of oil. Add bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, and garlic and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour eggs over vegetables and scramble until nearly finished cooking.
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, add cheese, beans, and then tortilla strips to pan. Gently fold everything together, letting eggs finish cooking with the tortillas.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove pan from heat and gently fold in salsa (or just serve over top). Top with cilantro.
- Divide migas between serving plates and serve with extra salsa. Enjoy smoothie on the side.
Yummy. Added banana to smoothie for sweetness. Kids loved the smoothie0 Helpful
Awesome meal. Leftovers are being used for breakfast tacos.0 Helpful
While I liked both parts of this dish, my family wasn’t as crazy about it. The smoothie was not a hit and the migas were only a partial hit. I would make it again for only half the family.0 Helpful
We love anything with those crispy fried tortilla strips! I didn't have bell pepper, so I added kale for some extra vegetables. I also had some extra pickled red onion from a meal earlier in the week and it was a great addition.0 Helpful
Where has this been all my life? My husband devoured two servings and I loved it too. I’ll be making this often. Prep everything ahead because this one comes together quickly.0 Helpful
Wow. Delicious, healthy, yummy… the cotija cheese really makes it, though feta could work in a pinch. We used salsa verde, which pairs beautifully with corn tortillas!0 Helpful