Migas with Black Beans and Eggs
with green smoothie
Smarts: This hearty one-pan dish would fit right in at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Jalapenos - 1, diced (seeds removed for less heat)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn - 6, chopped
- Cheese, cotija - 3 oz, grated (sub cheddar)
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/4 cup (plus more for serving)
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Baby spinach - 3 oz
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Bell peppers / Onions / Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tortillas - Slice into thin strips or roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cheese / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Whisk eggs - Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Make smoothie - In a blender combine frozen pineapple, baby spinach, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth. You can add some honey for more sweetness or some lime juice (not on ingredients list) for more tart flavor if you’d like.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with first part of oil over medium- high heat. Add tortillas and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and very crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer tortilla strips to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add second part of oil. Add bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, and garlic and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour eggs over vegetables and scramble until nearly finished cooking.
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, add cheese, beans, and then tortilla strips to pan. Gently fold everything together, letting eggs finish cooking with the tortillas.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove pan from heat and gently fold in salsa (or just serve over top). Top with cilantro.
- Divide migas between serving plates and serve with extra salsa. Enjoy smoothie on the side.
This was really yummy. My black beans didn't quite warm up as much as I would have liked, so I will add them in earlier (or maybe microwave them before adding to the pan) in the future.0 Helpful
really good! I mean scrambled eggs, cotija, tortilla strips & salsa? how could it not be good? But even better it was easy & quick with ingredients we usually have on hand so this will likely become a go to meal.0 Helpful
Really tasty! Would make a great brunch. Used oat milk in the smoothie for less calories and added a little bit of honey for sweetness.0 Helpful
Made this for brunch and everyone loved it!0 Helpful
Yummy. Added banana to smoothie for sweetness. Kids loved the smoothie0 Helpful