Mixed Berry Crisp
with Nutty Oat Topping
This juicy, warm crisp features tangy berries, chewy rolled oats, crunchy pecans, almond meal, and is sweetened only with honey. It's delicious on its own or topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Smarts #1: Use fresh berries if they're still readily available, although the crisp is just as tasty with frozen berries that have been thawed and drained. Smarts #2: For a gluten-free crisp, substitute 1:1 gluten-free flour; for a vegan crisp, substitute pure maple syrup for the honey.
- Mixed berries - 24 oz, fresh, or frozen and thawed
- Pecans, halves or pieces - 1 cup, chopped
- Coconut oil - 5 tsp, melted
- Rolled oats - 1 cup
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Kosher salt - 3/4 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/2 tsp + 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp
- All-purpose flour - 2 tbsp (For gluten-free sub a 1:1 blend)
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (opt) - for serving
- Mixed berries (if using frozen) - Thaw berries in the refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, leave them on the counter for a few hours or run them under lukewarm water for 30-60 seconds and blot to dry with a paper towel. Drain most of the liquid from the thawed berries.
- Pecans - Chop pecans.
- Coconut oil - Melt coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a glass pie dish or 8x8 baking pan with some coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Combine the oats, pecans, almond meal, salt, and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon in a large bowl; stir to combine. Add the melted coconut oil and 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup for a vegan crisp). Stir until fully incorporated; set aside.
- Transfer berries to a medium-size bowl. Add the flour, remaining 1 tsp ground cinnamon, and remaining 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup; gently toss to combine.
- Arrange berries in prepared baking dish. Top with oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is crisp and golden brown. Allow the crisp to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
This was quick to make and delicious! We used a mix of frozen and fresh berries. Couldn't find almond meal at the store so we ground up some whole almonds.0 Helpful
Delightful! Would recommend either doubling the crisp portion, or halving the berries. Would have even loved the crisp just on its own.0 Helpful
Very good. First time using almond meal and coconut oil. Everyone enjoyed this.0 Helpful