Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Ham
and fried eggs / green salad
Our two weeks of Olympics-inspired meals finish up tonight with a trip to France! We've put a paleo twist on the French bistro favorite Croque Madame. Roasted sweet potato rounds are topped with ham and finished with a fried egg for a protein-packed dinner that is totally unique. This meal was praised as simple and satisfying when it was last featured in 2019.
Green Salad with Apples:
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Ham:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , 1/2" / 1.3 cm slices
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Sweet potatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, start oven heating before returning to prep.) Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2" / 1.3 cm rounds. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread sweet potatoes in a single layer on pan. Brush tops of sweet potato rounds with some oil and season with some salt and pepper. Roast potatoes until tops are starting to turn golden brown (they will not be cooked all the way through), 6 to 8 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes roast, whisk together vinegar, mustard, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with lettuce and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Remove sweet potatoes, flip and brush with some more oil. Season with some additional salt and Italian seasoning. Place ham on top of each potato round. Return pan to oven and continue baking until sweet potatoes are tender and ham is hot, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- While sweet potatoes finish cooking, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide sweet potato rounds between serving plates. Top them with fried eggs. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!