Jerk Quinoa Bowls with Plantains
and black beans / corn / avocados / pineapple dressing
We're traveling to Jamaica tonight as our trip around the world for the Olympics continues! This fresh, Caribbean-inspired quinoa bowl was a big hit when it was last featured in 2020. Topped with avocado, black beans, corn, and a sweet, tangy pineapple dressing, it is full of creative flavors and textures and perfect for warm weather.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Pineapple cubes - 1/2 cup (use fresh or canned)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2 , chopped and seeded if you want less heat
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Jerk Quinoa Bowls with Plantains:
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Corn, frozen - 1 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Plantains, large - 3 , peeled and sliced (ripe plantains resemble bananas but should be very dark brown on the outside)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Jerk seasoning - 1 tsp (sub Cajun seasoning)
- Cook quinoa - Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Cube pineapple. Combine jalapenos, pineapple cubes, yogurt, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Plantains / Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans / Corn - Drain and rinse beans. Combine corn with beans and run under warm water to defrost.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for plantains) and then plantain slices to heated oil. (Cook in batches if your pan isn't large enough to hold all of the slices without overlapping.) Sear plantains until golden brown and tender, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Just before the plantains finish cooking, season on both sides with Jerk seasoning.
- Set plantains aside and return pan to heat. Add oil (portion for the bowls) and then beans and corn. Saute until corn starts to char and blacken in spots, 3 to 4 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat it in the microwave.
- Assemble bowls by topping quinoa with plantains, beans and corn, avocado slices, and cilantro. Drizzle pineapple dressing over top and enjoy!