with cucumbers / tomatoes / mixed greens
Panzanella is a bread salad and this version is hearty enough for a meal with the addition of summer produce and canned tuna. A version of this meal was last featured in the early days of our meal plan service.
Smarts: The key to panzanella is to toss it just a few minutes before serving so that the bread soaks up the vinaigrette and juice from the tomatoes but still retains some crunch.
- Bread, any gluten-free - 8 slices , torn or sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions, red and medium - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 1 lb , chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 lb , chopped (use heirloom tomatoes if available)
- Basil - 10 leaves , chiffonade
- Beans, cannellini, northern, or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Tuna, canned (5 oz / 142 g) - 2 cans , drained
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
Bread - Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Tear or slice bread into bite-sized pieces. Spread bread out on a sheet pan and toss with first part of olive oil. Season with some salt. Transfer bread to oven and toast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until golden brown and crisp. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make dressing - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Add second part of olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Basil - Chiffonade basil.
Beans / Tuna - Drain. Rinse beans.
In a large mixing bowl toss half the vinaigrette (reserve the second half) with bread and let sit for a few minutes so the bread has some time to soften.
To bread add onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, tuna, and mixed greens and gently toss everything together. Add remaining vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
Serve salad with basil on top. Enjoy!