with cucumbers / tomatoes / mixed greens
Smarts: The key to panzanella is to toss it just a few minutes before serving so that the bread soaks up the vinaigrette and juice from the tomatoes but still retains some crunch.
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/2 loaf, torn or sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions, red and medium - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 1 lb, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 lb, chopped (use heirloom tomatoes if available)
- Basil - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Beans, cannellini, northern, or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Tuna, canned (5 oz / 142 g) - 2 cans, drained
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Bread - Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Tear or slice bread into bite-sized pieces. Spread bread out on a sheet pan and toss with first part of olive oil. Season with some salt. Transfer bread to oven and toast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until golden brown and crisp. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Add second part of olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Beans / Tuna - Drain. Rinse beans.
- In a large mixing bowl toss half the vinaigrette (reserve the second half) with bread and let sit for a few minutes so the bread has some time to soften.
- To bread add onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, tuna, and mixed greens and gently toss everything together. Add remaining vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serve salad with basil on top. Enjoy!
Loved this! Great texture. Next time I would add the greens to individual servings as they were a bit soggy the next day for lunch.1 Helpful
Always a fan of homemade croutons. This was a filling yet still summery salad0 Helpful
I loved eating this the first night, such a fun treat to have these chewy croutons (I bought a special GF baguette for it too). Not a good leftovers dish though.0 Helpful
Basil and bread and dressing were awesome, tuna was a huge miss. Would make the veggie version again in a heartbeat0 Helpful
We really liked this very easy salad!0 Helpful
I love love loved this! I have never eaten tuna without mayo and I was so nervous but never again. It is the perfect meal for a hot day and even though it's a salad, it's filling. We premade the croutons and reheated them in the air fryer when we needed them. I am so happy I found this recipe.0 Helpful
Good meal for a hot day0 Helpful