Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry
with broccoli / rice
Smarts: Community members have called this meal a great blank slate for just about any vegetables - feel free to swap out your favorites.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz
- Celery - 2 ribs, sliced
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 2 Tbsp (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle; sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Celery / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli and celery each in their own containers. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, mirin, and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil to heated wok and then broccoli. Saute broccoli for 1 minute to get it started cooking. Add stock to wok and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli for 2 minutes (steam for 2 to 3 minutes more if you'd like it very tender). Remove lid and add celery and coleslaw mix. Continue cooking vegetables until liquid has cooked off and vegetables are all tender.
- Move vegetables to the side of the wok to create a donut shape with a hole in the center. Pour stir-fry sauce in the hole and wait for sauce to start bubbling.
- Add chicken back to wok and toss everything together to combine. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Finish with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Really good. I didn't double the sauce and found it sufficient. I added 1 TB cornstarch (4 servings) and the sauce thickened nicely. Definitely needed sriracha!1 Helpful
Good basic meal. Swapped zucchini for broccoli since that's what we had on hand.0 Helpful
We enjoyed the brocolli and coleslaw mix for veggies. I often double the sauce but this was very adequate. Agreed that the sriracha was nice addition.0 Helpful
Solid meal and easy to put together0 Helpful
Great flavor and easy to put together.0 Helpful
Loved this one! Used frozen broccoli so modified the beginning part of the recipe. I usually double the sauce and this one didn’t need it, there was plenty already.0 Helpful
The chicken was bland, the sauce had very little flavor despite the aromatics, and the veggies massively overcooked in the allotted time.0 Helpful