Poached Eggs with Creamy Spinach
and English muffins / marinated tomatoes
Smarts: Check out this video for tips on how to poach eggs.
- Shallots - 1, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 2 cups, halved
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Baby spinach - 10 oz, chopped
- English muffins - 4, halved
- Eggs - 8
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tomatoes - Combine shallots, tomatoes, cilantro, vinegar (portion for tomatoes), and olive oil. (Marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to a day.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Spinach / English muffins - Prep as directed.
- Eggs - Crack each egg into a small ramekin or teacup. (Don’t skip this step as it will help you to transfer the eggs to hot water quickly so that they cook evenly.)
- Fill a large saute pan with water. Add vinegar (portion for eggs) and some salt. Heat over high heat until it begins to boil. (Note: A large saute pan with straight sides is the best pan for poaching many eggs at a time.)
- Line a plate with paper towels and set it near the stovetop.
- While water comes to a boil, heat a frying pan with butter over medium-high heat. Add spinach and garlic to melted butter and cover with a lid or foil. Cook spinach until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and drain off any excess liquid. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- When water for the eggs is boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer (a few small bubbles rising from the bottom). Gently tip each egg into the simmering water so that none are touching. Simmer eggs to your desired degree of doneness (for cooked whites and soft yolks, this should take 4 to 5 minutes; remove one of the eggs and test it if needed).
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to paper towel.
- Toast English muffins.
- Season marinated tomatoes with some salt and pepper.
- Top English muffins with spinach and then poached eggs. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Enjoy with marinated tomatoes on the side.
pleaser for all, phew.0 Helpful
Delicious easy meal. Served with hot sauce on eggs for extra heat.0 Helpful
Really happy with this combo. The spinach is tasty with the muffin/egg combo and it’s great nutrition to boot!0 Helpful
I love how easy this recipe is and how fancy it looks when it's on the plate.0 Helpful
This tasted delicious and was a hit with my husband as well. My only problem was getting the spinach SUPER dry. I had two much moisture and needed to reheat after I added the yogurt and it broke. Still tasted great, looked terrible. Will be making again.0 Helpful
Loved the Balsamic Marinated Tomatoes & it will be a regular side dish a meals from now on. I need more poaching practice.0 Helpful