Thai Larb Lettuce Cups
with mango and cucumber salsa
Smarts: As you might guess, larb is usually very spicy, so don't hesitate to add extra red pepper flakes or hot sauce if you'd like to serve it that way.
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Mangos - 2, diced
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, finely chopped
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Lettuce, butterhead - 12 leaves (sub outer leaves from hearts of Romaine)
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Peanuts - 1/3 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mint / Cilantro / Limes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Combine mint and cilantro. Store limes and lettuce separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Mangos - Prep as directed.
- Make slurry - Whisk together water and cornstarch.
- Combine cucumbers, mangos, and vinegar.
- Heat a wok or large skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and saute until nearly cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Add sauce and bring to a simmer. When sauce is simmering, give cornstarch slurry a stir and add it to pork. Stir everything together and continue cooking until sauce thickens and pork is fully cooked.
- Remove pork from heat and stir in quinoa, mint, and cilantro. Squeeze half the lime wedges over top.
- Assemble lettuce cups by filling lettuce leaves with pork, peanuts, and hot sauce (if using). Squeeze extra lime wedges over top. Serve mango cucumber salsa on the side or spoon some onto lettuce cups if you’d like. Enjoy!
Good flavors, but if I did it again I would likely use ground turkey breast or chicken. The pork might have been too heavy.1 Helpful
To be less messy, we made as bowls and added chopped lettuce on top instead. Was really tasty and filling.0 Helpful
These were SO GOOD. I ended up getting another mango so I could make them again.0 Helpful
Subbed peaches for mango since they were in season. Also ran out of soy sauce and tried to improvise with miso, which was maybe why the lentils were way too salty. Peach-cucumber salsa was delicious and the rest of the dish was OK. Would enjoy making it again with pork. (Lettuce cups are too fussy for me so I served it over lettuce as a salad)0 Helpful
My new favorite lettuce cup (previous was a mushroom one)! Used extra frozen mango and subbed basil for mint because the store was out of mint. Will make again.0 Helpful
These were fine. Used the sauce as suggested and we thought it was enough.0 Helpful
Used ground pork. Made Quinoa & lentils also for veggie eaters. Quick & easy but hubs wasn’t filled & ate other leftovers w it.0 Helpful