with lemony arugula salad
Smarts: You'll need a good amount of hot oil in the pan to help cook the potatoes, but any excess can be drained off before you finish the dish.
- Onions, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Potatoes, Russet - 1 lb, ⅛” / .3 cm slices; using a mandolin if possible
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Olives, preferably Spanish green and sliced - 1/4 cup, drained
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Onions - Thinly slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Olives - Drain.
- Potatoes - Peel potatoes and then slice into ⅛” / .3 cm slices. A mandolin is great for this if you have one.
- Heat an 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium heat (skillet size is for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions with a generous sprinkle of salt. Saute onions until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in potato slices and saute, gently stirring them around in the pan every few minutes to insure they cook evenly, until very tender but not losing their shape, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium mixing bowl whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done cooking, use a slotted spoon to transfer onions and potatoes to egg mixture. If there is a lot of oil leftover in the pan, you can drain most of it out. There should be a thin layer of oil remaining.
- Gently stir together eggs and potatoes and then pour them back into the heated skillet. As the sides of the tortilla begin to set, use a spatula to gently pull the edges towards the middle so that any uncooked egg can drip down the sides. Cook until the eggs are mostly set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, turn on the oven’s broiler and position top rack so it’s about 6” / 15 cm from the heat source.
- Transfer tortilla to oven and broil for ~2 minutes to set the top.
Run a spatula around the side and under the tortilla. Place a cutting board or large plate over the skillet and then flip to remove tortilla from the pan.
- Toss arugula, tomatoes, and olives with vinaigrette.
- Slice tortilla into wedges. Season salad and tortilla with some salt and pepper. Serve tortilla with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This is tasty and reminded me of study abroad in Spain! Downsides: the onions started to stick to the pan and then I ended up burning a crust on the bottom (still edible, but less than ideal and didn't turn out of the pan easily as a result).1 Helpful
Mine got a little blackened on the bottom trying to get the eggs to cook but it was still delicious.0 Helpful
the salad was a nice change. the potato tortilla didn't work for us.0 Helpful
This was a hit! After reading the other comments, I added the onions and potatoes at the same time. Constant stirring kept everything from sticking. I probably won’t make this again during the week but will definitely make it on the weekends.0 Helpful
The tortilla was ok - a little bland. Pan was a mess, even though I used the stated amount of oil. Based on the time involved (including scrubbing the darn pan!) probably won’t make this again.0 Helpful
I loved this as it reminded me of a summer study abroad in Spain. I left out the onions because my husband doesn't like them and used onion powder instead. I sliced the potatoes with a rotary slicer and they came out very thin so I didn't need to cook them the full 15 minutes. I also used a non-stick pan and the end result came out nicely. Very tasty!0 Helpful
Sorry but this is not worth the effort. Chopping the potatoes was a hassle, the onions burned before the potatoes were tender, and the whole thing stuck to the pan so much it took me half an hour to clean just the pan. Also, flipping the skillet at the end nearly broke my wrist. The end result would have had to be amazing for me to rate it highly and it simply wasn't.0 Helpful