Green ‘Everything” Sandwich with Avocado
with crispy BBQ chickpeas
Smarts: To keep this meal simple, we used store-bought pesto but feel free to make your own if you prefer.
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Bread, multigrain - 8 slices (use a good bakery-style bread; sub your favorite sandwich bread)
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Pesto, store-bought - 1/3 cup
- Cheese, pepper jack - 4 slices (sub any type of cheese)
- Alfalfa sprouts (opt) - 1 cup (sub mung bean sprouts)
- Paprika, smoked - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Make BBQ spice - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Combine paprika, curry powder, sugar, salt, ground coriander, and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Slice cucumbers. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bread - If bread isn’t already sliced, slice.
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Spread beans out on a sheet pan. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with BBQ spice and gently stir everything to coat.
- Roast beans in the oven until deep golden brown, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Toast bread if you’d like.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading pesto on both sides of bread. Layer sandwiches with cheese, cucumbers, avocados, and sprouts.
- Serve sandwiches with BBQ chickpeas on the side. Enjoy!
I think next time I would as everything bagel spice or something to the sandwich2 Helpful
Very easy meal. Made the chickpeas in the airfryer for 12-15 min at 400, half of the recipe at a time and they came out really good.0 Helpful
It was good. I don’t like pesto, so used the herb dressing from earlier in the week. That worked well.0 Helpful
Outstanding tasty sandwich that is quick and delicious. Subbed fresh mozzarella for pepper jack cheese. Used an air fryer to prepare the bbq chickpeas. 15 minutes at 400 worked for this. Thrilled to have enough ingredients to make again.0 Helpful
The chickpeas need at least 30 min to start getting crispy. Also substituted half the curry powder for cayenne pepper since I'm not big on curry but like spice0 Helpful
5 for a nice lunch sandwich. Love sprouts.0 Helpful
Pretty darn good. We left out the sprouts and the sandwiches were still great. The pesto sauce made all the difference in the world. I was hoping the roasted chickpeas were crunchier so I'll leave them in the oven longer the next time.0 Helpful