Southwestern Corn, Sweet Potato, and White Bean Chowder
Packed with colorful vegetables and white beans for protein, this is not your ordinary creamy corn chowder. Soups like this one are a great way to make use of all that great summer produce.
Smarts: Soups make great freezer meals. If you're planning to freeze this one, freeze it without the cream which can change texture and clump in the freezer.
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz, peeled and cubed
- Zucchini - 8 oz, cubed
- Bacon - 8 strips, chopped
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, any white (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Heavy cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, pepper jack - 1/2 cup, shredded (sub any type of cheese)
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Make spice blend - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Sweet potatoes / Zucchini / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn (if using frozen) - Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and saute until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to set bacon out on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of bacon grease from the pan.
- To remaining bacon grease in the pan, add zucchini and saute for 2 minutes to get it started cooking. Add spice blend and garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add in stock and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- When chowder is boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender, ~15 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, remove lid and stir in cream, beans, and corn. Simmer gently for a few more minutes to heat everything through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with bacon, chives, and cheese. You can serve some tortilla chips on the side of the chowder or crumble them over top for some more texture.
Wow! So flavorful. BIG hit with parents and kids. Instant keeper.1 Helpful
This was so good!!! New favorite for sure. Lots of veggies, great flavors, good variety of textures. I loved that the soup was made like a vegetarian soup with the white beans for heartiness (I dislike chunks of meat in soups and usually make the veg version of them), but the bacon added a great little salty crunch.0 Helpful
Very tasty, but not a top contender by cooks marts usual standards of deliciousness.0 Helpful
It is really great! My kidd loved it. I used hominy instead of corn. More filling for my teens.0 Helpful
Made with half and half, still creamy and delicious0 Helpful
I'm not a big soup fan, but thought this was tasty.0 Helpful