Tom Kha Soup
with tofu / baby corn / zucchini / mushrooms
Tom Kha Soup:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Baby corn (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Zucchini - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , thinly sliced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , torn
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemongrass / Ginger / Garlic / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Combine lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in one container. Store mushrooms separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Baby corn - Rinse and drain. Slice in half lengthwise (optional). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Jalapenos / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, soy sauce (if you are okay using fish sauce instead, it does give the broth a deep flavor), and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tofu and baby corn and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce and more soy sauce if it’s not savory / salty enough. Remove lemongrass stalks before serving.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.