Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken / zucchini / mushrooms
Tom Kha Gai Soup:
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Zucchini - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , thinly sliced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , torn
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Lemongrass / Ginger / Garlic / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Combine lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in one container. Store mushrooms separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss with first part of fish sauce and first part of brown sugar. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Jalapenos / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken to aromatics and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce and more fish sauce if it’s not savory / salty enough. Remove lemongrass stalks before serving.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.