Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken / zucchini / mushrooms
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Zucchini - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, torn
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Lemongrass / Ginger / Garlic / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Combine lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in one container. Store mushrooms separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss with first part of fish sauce and first part of brown sugar. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Jalapenos / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken to aromatics and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce and more fish sauce if it’s not savory / salty enough. Remove lemongrass stalks before serving.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.
The prep took me quite a while, but it was easy to make and the end result was worth it. I subbed lemon zest for the lemongrass since I couldn't find any, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Great flavor and satisfying with all the veggies. I added a bit of sriracha for serving and liked the little big of heat I got with it and the jalapenos.1 Helpful
Cut the liquid by half as I do for most CS soups now. Cut the zucchini in half as well. Served it over rice. Would’ve used ramen if I’d had some. Very tasty, though.0 Helpful
I really love Tom Gha soup, so this recipe was just so-so for me. It's a nice-tasting soup, but it really needed something more: onion, red curry paste, a few sliced green onions. And the zucchini seemed like an odd addition - nice for the texture, but I don't think I've ever had it in Tom Gha soup before.0 Helpful
This was really, really good! One of my absolute favourites!0 Helpful
Great flavor that is even better the next day!0 Helpful
Such good flavor!!0 Helpful
Easier than I thought. Skipped the marinating and used chicken thighs. Got rave reviews from the family. Will put in our regular rotation!0 Helpful