Salmon Cakes over Spring Salad
with radishes / cucumbers / rye croutons
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Bread, rye - 4 slices , cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Radishes - 8 , halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz , torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Salmon - 1 lb (look for skinless salmon filets to make chopping easy; sub canned salmon, drain well)
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bread - Cube bread. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!