Tempeh Summer Rolls
with pineapple banana smoothie
Nuoc Nam Dipping Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Noodles, rice vermicelli - 6 oz (thin rice noodles; sub soba noodles)
Sweet and Spicy Tempeh:
- Tempeh - 8 oz , sliced into thin strips (sub extra-firm tofu)
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Chili-garlic sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Tempeh Summer Rolls:
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , matchsticks (look for seedless / English cucumbers)
- Carrots - 8 oz , matchsticks (use pre-shredded to save time)
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 leaves , torn
- Rice papers - 16 sheets (look for these in the Asian / international aisle)
- Sweet and Spicy Tempeh (ingredients listed separately) - 8 oz
Pineapple Banana Smoothie:
- Pineapple cubes, fresh, frozen, or canned - 8 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Strawberries, fresh or frozen - 2 cups
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Tempeh - Slice tempeh into thin strips. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam and marinate tempeh - Combine tempeh and water (portion for tempeh) in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover loosely with a paper towel. Steam in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain off water. Combine tempeh with vinegar, soy sauce (portion for tempeh), honey, and chili-garlic sauce. Gently stir to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make nuoc nam dipping sauce - Combine water (portion for sauce) and sugar and boil (or heat in a microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, until water is bubbling). Mix with remaining dressing ingredients and season to taste with hot sauce. Adjust taste as needed - use additional soy sauce for more savory, lime juice for tartness, or honey for sweetness. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - (Skip if noodles were made ahead for Tuesday.) Cook noodles according to package directions. (Note: Many varieties of rice noodles need just to be soaked in hot water until tender. If prepping ahead, soak in water until ready to use.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Carrots / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Make smoothie - Combine pineapple, bananas, strawberries, and coconut milk in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and, if you’d like it a bit sweeter, add some honey or sugar.
- Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Add tempeh and sear on all sides until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Set out all ingredients for the rolls - tempeh, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, and rice papers.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 1/2” / 3.75 cm of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- Dip rice paper into warm water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking).
- Place rice paper onto a clean counter or cutting board. (Do a few at a time.)
- To assemble rolls, layer lettuce, tempeh, cucumbers, and carrots. (You may need to tear the lettuce leaves into smaller pieces as you work so that they fit in the middle of the rice paper rolls.) Don’t overfill or the papers will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Repeat until you have used all of the filling.
- Serve summer rolls with nuoc nam for dipping. Enjoy smoothie on the side.