Chilaquiles with Pinto Beans and Zucchini
Smarts: Don't miss the leftover curtido pickled cabbage on top of the chilaquiles - it gives the dish texture and flavor contrast.
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 oz, shredded on a box grater
- Jalapenos - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tortillas, corn and taco-sized - 8, chopped into 2” / 5 cm pieces
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Enchilada sauce, red (10 oz / 283 g) - 1 can (use any store-bought variety; mild or spicy)
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Tortillas - Chop tortillas into 2” / 5 cm pieces. (Note: If time allows, leave tortillas uncovered at room temperature for a few hours and up to a day. They will hold up better during cooking if they are a bit stale.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Bell peppers / Onions / Cabbage / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic - (Skip prepping cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic if curtido was made ahead for Monday.) Prep as directed. Combine zucchini, bell peppers, and onions in one container. Combine cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curtido - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and oil (portion for curtido). Add cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic. Toss everything together to combine. (It’s messy, but the easiest way to combine everything is with your hands.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil (for chilaquiles) and then chopped tortillas. Cook tortillas, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Return skillet to stovetop and increase to medium-high heat. Add second part of oil (for chilaquiles) and then zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. Saute until vegetables are tender, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Add beans and spice mix and saute until spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour enchilada sauce and stock over vegetables and stir to combine. Simmer for 1 minute to reduce slightly.
- Add tortillas back to pan and stir until tortillas are warmed through and coated in sauce.
- Give curtido a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide chilaquiles between serving bowls and top with sour cream, green onions, and curtido. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!
With weekend prep this came together in no time! We put a fried egg on top because that’s how I like chilaquiles. Will definitely make again.2 Helpful
Good filling meal. Added some hot sauce for needed heat.0 Helpful
SO good and SO easy! I added a fried egg because that's what you do with Chilaquiles! Love a one pot meal and so flavorful, too!0 Helpful
For so many meals the weekend prep really pays off and this is one of them. I used coleslaw mix for the curtido and added 2 t of brown sugar to it because we like the sweet tangy flavors. We hadn't had chilaquiles before but will do again. Put the egg on top for my husband based on comments.0 Helpful
I love a one pot meal. This was tasty and easy to make even though I didn’t do any of the prep ahead stuff. I had it without jalapeño and it was still a little spicy but bearable. Also left off the sour cream bc I didn’t have any but would def make again.0 Helpful
Great! I added a can of diced tomatoes to increase the veggies. It was delicious and quick!0 Helpful
Love curtido!0 Helpful